Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Talking to male privilege.

Here are a couple of funny anecdotes from the last week:

Scenario 1: Discussing my appearance with a White Dutch Guy:

Me: People speak Dutch to me.
WDG: You look like you could be from the East Indies.

The East Indies only exists in your colonial imagination, dear sir.

Scenario 2: Discussing harassment with another WDG.

Me: I haven't really been harassed here. But it's different, if I was visibly Muslim maybe it would be different.
WDG: Ah, but then to us, you're not a real Muslim!

Ah, but then maybe I don't care for the categories of 'real' and 'fake' Muslims.

Scenario 3: Discussing catering for guests from over 100 countries.

Me: We should definitely have warm lunches.
WDG: Yeah, I don't understand why so many people think that having sandwiches for lunch is weird. They're in Europe, they should eat European things!

Maybe making your guests comfortable is just... "not possible".

No comments: